DXMachina (dxmachina) wrote,

  • Mood:


Actually, all things considered, it wasn't that bad.

The wind picked up a lot around eleven or so last night, coming out of the northeast. This caused one problem in that there is a sizable gap between the side door (which faces northeast) and the door jamb. There is weather stripping there, but it badly needs to be replaced. The wind was so strong that there was snow blowing through the gap and on into the kitchen. This is after it blew it through the storm door. I managed to stop it by stuffing the gap with athletic socks, which turned out to work really well. That actually kept it reasonably warm down at that end of the house. Went to bed with the wind whistling past the house.

Woke up at 5 a.m. to a loud snapping sound that kept repeating at random intervals. When I degroggified some, I realized that the sound was coming from the direction of my neighbors' house. I may have mentioned that they are building an addition, the north wall of which is about twenty feet from the all-too-thin wall in my back room that my futon abuts. They started building it just before Thanksgiving, and at this point the walls are up and sheathed, they've wrapped it in tyvek, but they haven't yet put on the siding over the tyvek. The sound I was hearing was a 30' length of 8' wide tyvek house wrap that had almost completely torn loose from the addition, and was flapping about in 60 mph gusts like a giant trash bag. Fortunately, I was able to find a some earplugs so I could go back to sleep.

I finally got up around eight, and the storm was still going strong. It was 13° with a wind chill of -9°, due to 38 mph winds gusting to 53 this morning. The snow finally stopped around 3 p.m., and the wind started to calm down. It's hard to tell exactly how much snow we got because it drifted so much. Some of the drifts were a couple of feet deep. Elsewhere you could see bare ground or pavement. One nice thing was that the patterns kept my side stoop and walk completely clean, as well as most of the driveway. The only real snow I had to shovel once I went outside was the plowed in end of the driveway.

It could've been a lot worse. For all the wind, I didn't lose power at all, which means I had heat, as well as other electrically powered things, like TVs and computers, to help stave off cabin fever. Which is hugely funny given that I rarely go out on Sundays anyway. In fact, veejane and I were IMing about it this morning, and we were both bemoaning the fact that we were each stuck in our respective homes. Not that either of us were likely to go anywhere today anyway, even if it hadn't snowed, but we just resented having the option taken away.

The Aftermath

View of my front yard showing the effects of the wind.
The Aftermath
Flapping in the Breeze Flapping in the Breeze

This is the tyvek house wrap that was torn almost completely loose from my neighbors' house.
The Walk

This is my side stoop, walk and driveway, before I did any shoveling. The wind's done most of the work for me already.
The Walk
Driveway Driveway

View of my driveway showing the wind pattern.

This is the front of my house.

Tags: photos, weather

  • Halloween 2014

    It's a chilly, windy, misty night here, so there hasn't been a lot of trick-or-treat traffic so far. That a shame, because it was pretty nice out…

  • Readercon

    Friday was the first (and only, so far) truly nice day of weather we've had this month*. Saturday was warmer and more humid, and today is meet the…

  • June Swoon

    So, long time, no write... It seems like June just went by in a flash. It's not like I've been particularly busy. Classes were done mid-May, and I…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.