December 5th, 2004

Roadkill

Thwump...

I'm an idiot. How the frell does someone (that is to say, me) mistake the side piece for the back piece? Arghh!

Everything was going swimmingly, too. My first attempt at fabricating the piece of hardware needed for project #1 was successful. Go me! The Dremel tool is the most useful thing ever invented. Of course, then I started cutting without paying attention.

At least project #2 is in good shape. The glue is setting on the last piece as I write, and all that's left is sanding, varnishing, and installing the hardware. What could possibly go wrong?
Roadkill

Better Now

So... I made a quick trip to Woodcraft for more wood, then set about redoing about half of project #1 from scratch. Actually, now that I know what I'm doing, it went a lot more quickly. I was able to get to the point of final glue up by the time I quit for dinner. No new disasters. Go me! It actually turned out for the best. Upon examination of another of the old pieces, I discovered another potential problem, so it was better to just start over.

Anyway, projects #1 and #2 are in good shape, and should be done by next weekend. I haven't done anything on #3 or #4 yet. There's not a lot left to do on #3, so I can still finish it if I hustle. I'll be starting from scratch on #4, so it's getting unlikely I'll get to it. Shrug.